Cristoval Nieves of The Kent School scores a goal v. Team Russia
Local New England prep school hockey players stand a good chance to get drafter in the upcoming NHL draft. Here are some of the prospects with their rankings according to the NHL Central Scouting Service:
- 27 Cristoval “Boo” Nieves, Kent School, 6′ 2.75″ 184, C
- 33 Dawson Sprigings, The Gunnery, 5′ 11.25″ 206 G
- 54 Brian Hart, Phillips Exeter, 6′ 2.0″ 216, RW
- 69 Chris Calnan, Noble & Greenough, 6′ 1.75″ 188, RW
- 76 Danny O’Regan, St. Sebastian’s, 5′ 8.75″ 162, C
- 79 Devin Tringale, Lawrence Academy, 5’11.5″ 186, LW
- 99 Doyle Somerby, Kimball Union, 6′ 4.5″ 232, D
- 101 Adam Gilmour, Noble & Greenough, 6′ 2.25″ 193, RW
- 108 Matthew Beattie, Phillips Exeter, 6′ 3.0″ 173, LW
- 132 John Stevens, Salisbury, 6′ 1.25″ 175, C
- 145 Kevin Duane, Brunswick, 6′ 4.0″ 219, RW
- 166 Alex Rauter, Choate-Rosemary Hall, 6′ 0.0″ 174, LW
- 208 Tim Boyle, Noble & Greenough, 6′ 1.75″ 185, D
- 210 Zachary Pryzbek, Salisbury, 6′ 2.75″ 199, LW
Although southern prep school’s Spring seasons are mostly underway, the Mid-Atlantic and North East are just getting rolling. Lots of teams are headed south for preseason training this year. Look around Tampa for some prep school lax this week. Here’s a taste of prep school lacrosse in New England this Spring.
The annual Beanpot Hockey Tournament is probably Boston’s most iconic college sporting event. Involving Northeastern, Harvard, BC, and BU, the tournament features some of the best talent the country has to offer.
In the championship game tonight, dozens of prep school attendees fill the rosters of BC and BU. I’ll do my best to list off the schools, but forgive me if I missed any.
Nobles & Greenough, B.B.N., Thayer Academy, Belmont Hill, Roxbury Latin, Lawrence Academy, Tabor Academy, Avon Old Farms, Phillips Andover, South Kent, Salisbury School, Brewster Academy, Catholic Memorial, Marshall Prep, Northwood School, Westminster, and Choate Rosemary Hall.
This is a pretty interesting article on Thomas Welsh from Salisbury. He recently committed to play at Penn State. Unlike some recent US players who have left prep to play in Canada, Welsh is a Canadian who is playing prep in the US.
Read more on Welsh’s story HERE
The Salisbury School in CT has a lot of their players featured on YouTube (note to Salisbury: try to edit them and highlight the player, or zoom in or something).
Amato is a junior, and plays DB at 6′, 180 lbs. When I saw this video, I was expecting the INT, but never thought that he would run it back for the pick-6. Nice play!